Savoury Peruvian Hass avocado muffins
These delicious savoury muffins are perfect for breakfast or brunch – and they’re great for packed lunches or picnics too.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes Makes 8 muffins
For the muffins:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 125ml whole milk
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 50g sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 80g feta cheese, cut into 8 chunks
For the topping:
- 3 Peruvian Hass avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- 200g soft cheese
- Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, beat together the flour, eggs, milk and oil, using a hand whisk to give a smooth batter. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, then push a feta cheese cube into each one, making sure the pieces are covered by the mixture. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool.
- Meanwhile, mash or blend 2 Peruvian Hass avocados to make a smooth purée, then beat in the soft cheese and lemon or lime juice until smooth and creamy. Spoon on top of the muffins and serve at once, garnished with thin slices of avocado.
Cook’s tip: If you’re making the muffins for a packed lunch or picnic, put the topping into a separate container for spreading on top later