Apple & Blackcurrant Crumble
Gluten free | Vegan | Dairy free
For the filling
• 300g of bramley apple slices (fresh or frozen)
• 100g of blackcurrants (fresh or frozen)
• 20g of soft brown sugar
• 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
• 60ml of water
For the crumble
• 100g of oats
• 100g of ground almonds
• 40g of soft brown sugar
• 40g of pecans
• 40g of coconut oil
• 1/4 tsp ginger
• 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
• pinch of sea salt
How to make:
• Preheat the oven to 180°c.
• Begin by making the filling by adding all of the ingredients to a pan, ensuring the apples are peeled and sliced first. Heat on a medium flame and using a spoon, stir the filling every so often until the sauce thickens and the fruit begins to become soft.
• While the filling is cooking, make the crumble. Add all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir together.
• Melt the coconut oil briefly (I popped it in the microwave for 30 seconds) and then add to the mixing bowl. Stir together until the crumble is coated with the coconut oil.
• Using a pie dish, spoon the filling into a thick layer on the bottom.
• Next, gently spoon the crumble mix over the top of the filling until it’s completely covered. You can be quite generous with the crumble mix, however this recipe makes enough mix for two crumbles. Put the remaining crumble mix into a zip lock bag and pop in the freezer to use for next time.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.