Roasted Baby Carrot Salad with Walnuts, Chickpeas and Feta
Onions and garlic contain a type of complex carbohydrate called inulin which acts as a prebiotic. Prebiotics provide a food source for healthy gut bacteria. Nuts and seeds are a good source of dietary fibre and help to keep the gut moving. Carrots and pomegranate seeds are an excellent source of polyphenols and dietary fibre.
Please note, if you are following the low FODMAP diet - this would not be suitable to follow in the early stages.
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes | Serves 4
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Wash, but do not peel, the carrots. Lay the carrots in a roasting tray with the red onion, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with ground cumin.
- Place the carrots and onion in the oven for about 20 - 30 minutes until tender and a little wrinkled. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and shake well. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. This dressing should taste a little sharp.
- Mix the remaining salad ingredients together with the cooked carrots in a bowl with half of the dressing. Lay the salad in a shallow bowl or serving platter and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
The best way to remove the seeds from a pomegranate is to cut it in half and immerse them in a medium sized bowl full of water. Gradually tease out the pomegranate seeds from each half and remove the thin yellow skin. The seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl of water and the thin yellow skin will rise to the surface and can be skimmed off. Drain the seeds from the water and store any extra in an airtight container.
If you have IBS and are following the FODMAP diet, reduce the red onion, avocado, pomegranate and garlic, which are all high FODMAP ingredients.
- Bunch of about 12 young slim carrots, leaves and ends trimmed
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 100g ready cooked or canned Puy lentils
- 1 large bag rocket
- 30g walnut pieces, gently toasted in a dry pan
- Small bunch coriander, chopped
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Squeeze lemon
Dr Joan Ransley for Love Your Gut www.loveyourgut.com