MIDDLE EASTERN FILO PIE STUFFED WITH CALIFORNIA PRUNES, FETA, NUTS & HERBS
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Cooking Time: approx 15 mins
200g filo pastry
20ml olive oil
1 handful of mint
1 handful of parsley
100g Feta cheese
75g California Prunes
For the dressing:
2 red onions
1 red chilli
2 tsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 preserved lemon
· Cook the quinoa in 1 pint of salted boiling water for 8-9 minutes, then drain and run under cold water.
· Meanwhile finely dice the red onion and red chilli and place into a mixing bowl with the cumin, coriander, vinegar and olive oil. Pour the cooked quinoa into the bowl with the dressing and mix together to make sure everything gets coats with the dressing.
· Chop the preserved lemon and add to the mixture for an authentic flavour.
· Break up the Feta, using your hands, into the bowl, then chop and add all the herbs. Finally add the chopped California Prunes and mix together.
· Lay the sheets of filo pastry out and brush with olive oil. Arrange the pastry to make a 50cm rectangle 2-3 sheets thickness with brushed olive oil between them.
· Spoon the quinoa mixture down the middle of the pastry and roll up into a long sausage shape making sure the mixture is encased inside the pastry.
· Roll up the pastry up from one end to create a snail shell pattern and transfer the pastry onto a baking tray
· Brush with a little olive oil before baking in a pre-heated oven at 180c until golden brown.