California Prune & Goats Cheese Tart
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 320g pack of ready brought short crust pastry
- 75g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 125g California Prunes, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp thyme leaves, freshly chopped, plus 6 stalks for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g semi-soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 230ml low fat crème fraiche
- 3 eggs
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Roll the pastry very thinly and line a 23cm round loose bottom flan tin.
• Trim, then line with parchment paper and baking beans and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the pastry edges are pale golden.
• Remove the beans and paper and return to the oven for a further five minutes. Put the tart case to one side.
• Mix together the walnuts, California Prunes, thyme leaves and goat’s cheese and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
• Pour the mixture into the tart case. Lightly whisk the crème fraiche and eggs together then pour carefully over the tart.
• Add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and put in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and set.
• Remove and leave for 5 minutes before serving.
• Serve topped with a thyme leaf, a large, lightly dressed salad and a generous spoonful of tangy chutney.
By Rosemary Shrager