VEGAN LAKSA BOWL
This recipe is my take on a Laksa which is a healthy Thai coconut soup that is a meal in itself. It's healthy and delicious.
I love this bowl of coconutty deliciousness. Laksa is a comforting Thai coconut broth with vegetables and noodles. I find a lot of vegan recipes are trying to emulate meat dishes, which is sad because vegan ingredients are fantastic and with imagination don't need to pretend they are something they are'nt. There are a lot of sumptuous vegan dishes that don't shout deprivation of any kind. Hopefully you will try my vegan recipes and agree that they are just as good as any recipe using animal products, I try to make them look delicious too, and not all beige.
Anna, My Primrose Hill Kitchen. https://myprimrosehillkitchen.com/
Recipe - Laksa Paste
- 2 red chillies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Half a thumb of ginger root or galangal
- 4 small chopped shallots
- 1 stick of lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind
- 2 tablespoons of cashew butter or 50g of raw cashews
Put all the ingredients into a small blender and whizz up till smooth. I used my stick blender to do this and it worked really well. Put paste into a container and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks or much longer in the freezer.
Recipe, Serves 2
- A handful of mushrooms, I used oyster mushrooms
- A handful of baby pak choy or chopped regular size pak choy
- Half a small butternut squash cut into tiny cubes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 400ml tin of coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons of the laksa paste (method below)
- A cup of peas
- 400ml of hot vegetable stock
- Cucumber for garnishing cut into strips
- 2 limes juiced
- A coriander sprig
- 100g of uncooked brown rice noodles( follow the instructions on the packet)you can use standard noodles too
Preheat the oven to 200c and place the butternut squash cubes in a roasting dish and coat with one tablespoon of the coconut oil and a pinch of. Roast for about ten minutes, they will need turning halfway through. Keep an eye on them as they can burn.
Meanwhile cook the noodles, drain and set aside. Put the rest of the coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat and sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes. Then add the laksa paste and continue to sauté for a few more minutes then add the coconut milk, lime juice, peas, pak choy, stock and maple syrup. Simmer for about five minutes.
Divide the cooked noodles between two bowls and ladle on the coconut and vegetables. Place the roasted squash on top along with the cucumber, spring onion and coriander. You can add salt to taste. Serve straight away with the lime wedges.