HALLOUMI CHEESE WITH A RHUBARB & PRUNE CHILLI JAM & SPICED FLATBREAD CRISPS
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time:approx 25 mins
For the flatbreads:
225g strong white flour
225g wholemeal bread flour
5g dried yeast
1 tbsp nigella seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
For the Prune Chilli jam:
2 sticks rhubarb
90g California Prunes
30ml California Prune juice
1/2tsp red chilli
1 small handful of fresh coriander
125g Halloumi cheese
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 handful of mixed salad leaves and herbs
- To make the bread combine all the ingredients together and mix to form a soft dough. Transfer to a clean work top and knead until smooth and stretchy.
- Place back into the mixing bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove for 1 hour.
- Scoop out the dough and knock back to remove the air. Cut the dough up into 4 portions before rolling out into thin flatbreads.
- Put the flat breads onto a preheated baking tray or baking stone and bake in a hot oven at 200c for 12 minutes until crisp, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Slice the rhubarb into 1/2cm slices and place into a hot pan. Add the prune juice, chopped chilli and prunes. Simmer for 10 minutes until the prunes start to break down. Add the chopped coriander and stir together, then leave to one side to cool while you cook the Halloumi cheese.
- Pre-heat a frying pan. Slice the cheese and cook in a dry frying pan until golden brown on each side. This should only take a couple of minutes on each side.
- To make the dressing place the pomegranate seeds into a mixing bowl with 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar and 1tsp of olive oil. Add in the salad leaves and mix together.
- To plate - spoon the rhubarb chutney onto the centre of the plate, followed by a flatbread, top with the Halloumi cheese and finally mix the salad together last minute before topping the cheese to serve.
Credit: California Prunes