Borlotti beans on sourdough toast
300g dried borlotti beans, soaked in water overnight (for at least 12 hours)
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sprig rosemary
3 bay leaves
1 small potato, peeled and halved
Macadamia nut oil
Red wine vinegar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Salt and pepper
A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Sourdough bread (optional)
1) Drain the soaked beans, place them in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
2) Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and potato.
3) Place on the heat, slowly bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until the beans are cooked.
4) Drain the beans, making sure to save some of the cooking water.
5) Remove the garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and potato from the beans, and return the beans to the saucepan with enough of the cooking water to cover them 1/4 of the way up.
6) Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins, mash them with the potato and add to the beans.
7) Add a few generous glugs of macadamia nut oil, a few dashes of vinegar, the lemon zest and juice and season well with salt and pepper.
8) Spoon onto your toasted sourdough bread, and garnish with the chopped parsley.